Implements detailed landscape plans. Plants, fertilizes, applies chemicals, waters, weeds, and prunes woody and herbaceous plants. Is responsible for performing tasks involving physical labor as part of a team. May operate a variety of hand and power tools. The Gardener may assist other craft workers and Forman.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Plants, transplants, fertilizes, applies chemicals, waters, prunes, and weeds flower beds and plant areas.
- Maintains flowers, bushes, trees, and shrubs.
- Implements detailed landscape plans.
- Plants and propagates bedding plants; may manage greenhouse operations, as applicable.
- Assists in the work direction and on-the-job training of other personnel.
- Picks up and disposes of litter.
- May assist in various maintenance activities as required.
- May operate a motor vehicle to transport materials and equipment, as appropriate to the position.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- May irrigate, mow, rake, and trim lawns and/or athletic fields.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES)
- High school diploma or GED; at least 1 year of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
- Knowledge of horticulture methods and materials, landscaping and cultivation of trees and woody plants.
- Ability to use hand and power tools applicable to trade.
- Ability to perform grounds maintenance tasks.
- Skill in interpreting and completing landscape plans.
- Knowledge of fertilizer and/or pesticide applications.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a valid and appropriate state driver’s license prior to employment
- Some knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions
- Ability to work independently and complete daily activities according to work schedule
- Ability to lift heavy objects, walk and stand for long periods of time and perform strenuous physical labor under adverse field conditions
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely
- Ability to understand, follow and transmit written and oral instructions
- Ability to meet attendance schedule with dependability and consistency